“Why, anybody can have a brain. That's a very mediocre commodity. Every pusillanimous creature that crawls on the Earth or slinks through slimy seas has a brain. Back where I come from, we have universities, seats of great learning, where men go to become great thinkers. And when they come out, they think deep thoughts and with no more brains than you have. But they have one thing you haven't got: a diploma.”

--The Wizard of Oz to the Scarecrow


"I know I chatter on far too much...but if you only knew how many things I want to say and don't. Give me SOME credit." --Anne Shirley, Anne of Green Gables, PBS, 1985

Thursday, July 22, 2010

More Regarding Social Justice…


Dan B. suggested after we traded a few comments that a discussion regarding the definition of social justice might be in order. My original post indicated that I was leery of Glenn Beck’s warnings and admonitions to those of us who use the term, and to those churches that use it. That’s mostly because I don’t like blanket statements. It’s also why I don’t care for other seemingly unjust things such as highly populated areas like New York, California, and Florida having so many more electoral votes than the majority landmass of the country. But that’s a blog for another day.

I thought I would help the discussion along by giving a few definitions, because just like anything else, social justice and how one defines it will depend quite a bit upon perspective and interpretation. Here goes:

BusinessDictionary.com: Fair and proper administration of laws conforming to the natural law that all persons, irrespective of ethnic origin, gender, possessions, race, religion, etc., are to be treated equally and without prejudice. 

Center for Economic and Social Justice: Social justice encompasses economic justice. Social justice is the virtue which guides us in creating those organized human interactions we call institutions. In turn, social institutions, when justly organized, provide us with access to what is good for the person, both individually and in our associations with others. Social justice also imposes on each of us a personal responsibility to work with others to design and continually perfect our institutions as tools for personal and social development.

Mavericks Teacher Resources: The fair distribution of advantages, assets, and benefits among all members of a society.

Dan B.’s definition: Each person receives what they are due.

(Dan B.’s is the exact definition of justice as defined by the Center for Economic and Social Justice.)

Mary Sue’s definition (as it applies to me): To give each person, regardless of their station in life, what they are due as I am commanded by Christ: love and access to Him, serving where I am needed to walk with them in a broken world and to encourage them to depend on the One who can provide all they need.

I feel very strongly that because sin entered the world and it is broken, justice does not work perfectly either in the courts or in society. Justice must partner with the gifts God gave us when he created us in His image, the ability to love and care for each other. We are social creatures, and as such relationships are the foundation between Him and us and between each other. This side of eternity we will not have perfection, but we can certainly live toward esteeming others better than ourselves.

It is not an easy or simple definition. I would love your thoughts!

9 comments:

  1. Jesus would want social justice, but would he want it enforced by the tip of Caesar's sword?

    "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny."
    - Thomas Jefferson

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am only advocating social justice from the heart. If you read what I wrote carefully you will see that I used a variety of definitions not specific to government. Start asking instead "How can we please Jesus by implementing social justice?" or "What methods of social justice would most please Jesus?" I think you will find that it starts with us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The CESJ quote above seems to say that each should receive what is "good".
    Obviously "due" and "good" are not necessarily the same.
    I don't think that my definition and theirs are even close to the same.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, Dan B., I will have to be careful with you, because you are a word man—and very literal. The definition you used was on the CESJ website as “a definition of justice.” My bad. I did not go back and check it. I did not mean it was their definition of “social justice,” and I did not say so. Maybe I should also be careful not to make any comments too late at night (after 9 p.m.) or too early in the morning (before 6 a.m.)! Oh dear, why am I blogging?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I see now. Too persnickity. I'm new to this stuff too. Please don't take your blog and go home!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My definition of social justice is in need of definition. I used the word "due" to show that we are dealing with personal relationships and not mathematical equations.
    Also, I chose that word to hopefully sever social justice from a notion of equality of outcome.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It occured to me this morning that one of the reasons I am suspicious of the term "social justice" is because it seems redundant, (that may be why my definition of social justice is the same as someone els's definition of the word "justice" itself.)
    To say it another way, what kind of justice is not social?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I guess in my ideal world, “social” would mean “community” or “society as a whole.” So justice without the “social” would simply be legal justice, what is just or right in any given situation. In other words, if you work, you get paid. If you purchase an item, you pay for it. If you borrow money, you pay it back. If you commit a crime, you pay the penalty for the crime.

    Let’s see, if we get persnickety, that would make your definition of “social” justice (with “social” defined according to dictionary.com): “Each person receives what they are owed as a moral or natural right,” or “Each person receives what is right, proper or fitting.” Since I don’t really want to get into a discussion of rights (really…I DON’T), I prefer the latter.

    Let’s just say that it would be right, proper or fitting for each person to receive respect and dignity from each other person in the community (step it up to “love” if the community claims to be followers of Christ). If a person in the community has a catastrophe, then others in the community should be paying attention, and should be coming to the aide of the person in distress. Let’s say it’s a person you don’t know (i.e., someone walks into your sphere of influence with a need). What can we do to help assess the situation, and either assist, or point the person in the direction they need to go, all the while giving them what is right, proper or fitting (respect and dignity)? This, in my view, is social justice.

    To take it farther than this, and to provide “more” than is right, proper or fitting, would be in the character of God, who always gives us more grace than any of us deserve. I think that’s what churches do that have great, successful programs for hurting communities. They go the extra mile—they provide “more.” As far as government goes, they can try, but they can’t really provide the “love.” Too much burnout—and sometimes love has to be tough in order to be love. Are we done here? No one else is saying what “they” think…this is only what “we” think…maybe no one else is even interested…

    ReplyDelete
  9. Apparently you and I are the only ones who care at all what social justice is. I hope this is not indicative of God's people as a whole in the USA.
    I guess we should talk about something important like American Idolatry.

    ReplyDelete